Its been like ages since I have posted …..really wanted to do a post for Childrens day…but couldn’t make it .As my kids had their always loved Kulfis. The past two months have been totally head raking for me classes, school , book , kids, home….things wouldn’t have been more or less worser with me being diagnosed with pneumonia…sheesh….. its like being chained …!!! The curtain raiser for the whole melodramatic experiences started off with Siva’s hand fractured…then with the viral and then with me all sick…hoping to get things sorted out and fine…
The kulfi recipe goes on to one of my students and dear friend ….Lindiwe Richer..sorry Lindi for being snail late..in posting this recipe…
- 2 cups of full cream milk
- 1 tbsp of corn flour made into a thick paste adding cold water
- ½ cup of chopped dates
- ¼ cup of almonds roughly chopped
- 4-5 strands of saffron
- Seeds of one cardamom
- 1 tin of condensed milk(400g)
- Mix in the milk and condensed milk and bring to boil.
- On boiling, reduce the flame to low stir in the corn flour paste, cardamom seeds,
- almonds, dates and saffron.
- Stir the mix on low flame till it thickens.
- Let it cool and pour into kulfi moulds and freeze till they are firm.
- Please take care while de moulding slightly pour hot water on it (take care that water
- doesn’t seep into the mold).
Mangoes these yellow beauties have always been my fav since childhood.I remember the fights that I would pick up to slurp the mango seed.This tropical fruit is high in prebiotic dietary fiber,Vitamin A , vitamin C ..etc
Be it ripe or green ones , I love playing with them in my food preparations.The school was closed for about 15 days before the new academic year started.Here in Munnar, my sons normally have their vacation in June-July months when its pouring all day.The rains are pretty difficult to handle in Munnar when you have to board the bus cold & drenched.So the school closes during that time here as a relief to the kids.The 15 day holiday break flew out for me this time with my classes, printing of my new cookbook and Vishu celebration.Heres a snap from the Vishu Kani..
Mango & Dates Smoothie
Pulp of 3 medium sized ripe mangoes
6-7 dates ,deseeded
3 scoops of vanilla icecream
2 cups of milk
sugar to taste
In a juicer grind the dates and mango pulp with sugar first.Slowly add in the milk and vanilla icecream scoops and blend well.Pour this in to serving glasses and top it with chocolate shavings.It is best served chilled.Beat the heat and freshen up with this mango fever!