These days its been raining cats and dogs !For the past two days I guess there’s been a twist in the weather.Its sunny(at least till afternoon)..so I thought I’ll go on for a Black forest gateau.Whenever I opt for an icing cake I usually have to be all eyes on my younger one coz he’s always there to tamper with the baked cake.Last day after baking a chocolate cake I was busy whipping cream…when I checked out my cake for spreading the cream my cake was dug up with a hole in the centre and he was laughing at me with the cake in his mouth..!!
For my black gateau I have used homemade strawberry wine instead of Kirsch .I had to do my topping with canned cherries..sigh..didn’t get fresh ones!
Black Forest Cake
For the cake
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1cup of icing sugar
100g of butter
1tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups of whipping cream
1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
For cake syrup
1/2 cup of water
7tbsp of sugar
2tbsp of strawberry wine or kirsch
- Sieve cocoa powder and flour together.
- In a bowl beat the eggs and sugar till it becomes creamy.Add vanilla essence to it and beat it again.
- To this beat in the cocoa-flour mix slowly till all the flour is well incorporated.
- Add the melted butter to it and mix well.
- Grease and lightly flour the baking tin .Now pour in the cake mixture.
- Preheat the oven at 180degree Celsius for 15 minutes.
- Bake the cake for about 45 minutes and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Cut the cake into three partitions carefully.
- Prick all the three cake partitions with a fork.
- In a saucepan on flame add in the ingredients for the cake syrup and bring it to boil stirring for about 10 minutes .
- Let the syrup cool and slowly pour the syrup over the partitions.
- Whip the whipping cream with sifted icing sugar to get soft peaks using a blender.
- Deseed the canned cherries as per requirement .
- Place the first part of the cake on a large plate and spread the whipping cream on to the cake.Now arrange the cherries on the cream .Now place the second partition on it and lightly press it.Repeat the filling process in the same manner and place the third partition on it.
- You can use the leftover whipping cream to cream the cakes outer part.Decorate it with chocolate curls and cherries.After decoration cool the cake in a refrigerator so that the icing sets.
Hi Lidia..this is for you.Sorry for not posting the recipe with the photos.I found this recipe while blogging .Thnx shabs for the chiffon cake recipe.They had mentioned it with the black chocolate mould..as the day i tried the recipe I was short of usual chocolates,I tried it up with milk chocolates.Here goes the recipe..
1 3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup chilled Butter
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cup milk
a pinch of salt
For the cake moistening syrup:
6 tbsp sugar
10 tbsp water
- Heat oven to 180 degree celsius/Gas mark 4/350 degree Farenheit
- Cut butter to small cubes.In a large bowl, put chilled butter,sugar with a blender.
- Add vanilla essence and eggs(one by one) beating well
- Sift the flour 2-3 times.Add cocoa powder,baking powder,salt and baking soda to flour and mix well.
- Add dry mix to the egg mix ,mixing well.Add the milk and beat well.
- Grease a baking pan of 9 inches and bake it for 40-45 minutes.Cool cake on wire rack
- Heat sugar and water until sugar melts and syrup boils.Keep it aside.
- On cooling place the cake on a large dish and cut it into two layers.
- Sprinkle the sugar syrup on the cut cakes.Cover the cake in a plastic wrap and refrigerate
- To make whipped cream filling,add 1/4 tsp vanilla essence,2 tbsp sugar & 1/2 cup whipping cream and whip well.
- Spread the filling paste on to the cut layers and join them together.
- For the white chocolate topping:8 ounce of milk chocolate cut into small pieces,3/4 cup of whipping cream,2 tbsp butter
- Boil the whipping cream and pour it on to the chocolate pieces whipping it along with the butter until it becomes smooth.
- Spread the cream on to the cake evenly .For appearance you can decorate it with cherries..