I have been quite busy now a days that I actually couldn’t keep my posts updated.With the cookery classes started in Munnar by me..I rarely get time to sit down on my computer..I have been thinking to post this recipe for a long time.This one was shared by Sheeba ,our family friend.A special thanks goes on to my sis in law for helping me out with the recipe..cz i keep forgetting to write down the recipe.:DIf you have all the ingridients in hand you can cook this in half an hour.
For the 1st part
1/2 kg Chicken
4 tbsp curd
2 green chillies
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
Cook the chicken with all the above ingredients till its half cooked and separate the stock water.
For the paste
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
pudina /mint leaves a handful
cilantro a handful
Grind all the above ingredients to make a fine paste.
For the 2nd part
2 cups of rice(washed)
2 tbsp oil
4 green chillies slit
the ground paste
2 large onions sliced
2 tomatoes sliced
3 tsp of garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4 cups of stock water
Heat ghee and oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and saute the large onions and green chillies together.Now add in the ground paste and tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes are cooked.Pop in the turmeric powder,garam masala and stir well.Add in the rice and chicken stirring well.Pour in the stock water and when it comes to boiling point add salt to taste.Keeping on medium flame cover the vessel and cook till the water evaporates.Garnish with fresh cilantro.
4 large onions sliced
3 green chillies
1 tomato sliced
1 piece Ginger
7-8 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp aniseed
a piece of cinnamon
1/4 cup pudina leaves chopped
3/4 cup coriander leaves chopped
1 coconut scraped
Salt to taste
- Wash and strain the basmati rice.
- Pressure cook the mutton pieces with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder ,1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder ,salt and water.
- Strain out the mutton pieces and keep aside the stock water.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel on flame ,pour 2 tbsp ghee .Fry and seperate the strained rice.
- In a mixer grind the ginger and garlic to paste form.
- Extract coconut milk from the scraped coconut and mix it with the mutton stock water.
- In the same vessel pour 1 tbsp ghee with 2 tbsp oil fry the spices.Saute the onions,ginger garlic paste,green chillies(the green chillies are to be put without slitting.).Add tomatoes,curry leaves,pudina,coriander leaves and stir till an aroma comes.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,2 tsp chilli powder and 2 tsp Meat masala powder.Stir in the mutton pieces and rice.
- Add 4 cups of the coconut milk stock to the rice.
- Add salt on boiling,cover the vessel with a lid and let it cook on medium flame.On cooking the water would have evaporated .
- Marinate the chicken pieces with chilli powder,garam masala,coriander powder,curd and salt.Keep it for 1/2 an hour.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel pour oil fry and seperate the cardamoms,cloves,cinnamon and rice by adding the lemon juice.
- In the remaining oil add the crushed ginger and garlic,coriander leaves,green chillies and stir them well.Add the tomato pieces and stir it well.
- Now add in the chicken pieces and mix well pouringabout 1/2 cup of water.Cover the vessel with a lid and let it cook till it gets half tenderized.
- When the chicken is half cooked ,mix in the rice and spices ,pour the 6 cups of water and let it cook on low flame covered with a lid.
- When the rice is cooked the water would have evaporated completely.
- For garnishing you can fry sliced large onions,nuts and raisins in ghee and mix with rice.