Its surprising how 2015 is over and 2016 has started ..an year with quite a bit of happenings..moments of bitterness, humour , love and friendship an other year winds up and the upcoming days are awaiting to be unfolded ..
My long awaited cookbook on the snacks of Kerala at last came to life in October 2015 and was first exhibited at the Frankfurt world bookfair 2015…the worst part was that I couldn’t make it for the most unexpected reasons and my younger one was very sick for a few months.I guess ups and downs are after all a part and parcel of life .I was blessed to have some of my first and best experiences in life all topped with the love for food. That would have been the first and foremost experiences to treasure.
“Its strange how we find the best of friends in the most unexpected people.” This is one quote that I would totally agree with .. that I would say have brought me quite a number of friends in my life in the most unexpected situations of life ..for me life has always been a bag of surprises .The best part is to hitch in the surprises be it the bitter or best moments. This year here’s my profile teaser that was released ..
Starting off this years post on sweet note there’s one recipe from Lal Majid’s chocolate & dessert book ,”Deliciously Yours !”…that I have been longing to post ..”Coffee apple Bavarois”
- 1 egg yolk
- 25g sugar
- 125ml milk
- 1 tsp of gelatin
- 75ml chilled cream
- 1 apple peeled and pureed
- 2 tsps of coffee
- Boil milk on low heatwith the pureed apple .Beat chilled cream with an electric beater and set aside.Add egg yolk sugar gelatin into milk and mix well.Add coffee into the mixture and incorporate well.Let the mix cool.Fold in the whipped cream until smooth.Pour into glasses or bowls of desired shape and chill for 10 hrs before serving.
Its been like ages since I have posted …..really wanted to do a post for Childrens day…but couldn’t make it .As my kids had their always loved Kulfis. The past two months have been totally head raking for me classes, school , book , kids, home….things wouldn’t have been more or less worser with me being diagnosed with pneumonia…sheesh….. its like being chained …!!! The curtain raiser for the whole melodramatic experiences started off with Siva’s hand fractured…then with the viral and then with me all sick…hoping to get things sorted out and fine…
The kulfi recipe goes on to one of my students and dear friend ….Lindiwe Richer..sorry Lindi for being snail late..in posting this recipe…
- 2 cups of full cream milk
- 1 tbsp of corn flour made into a thick paste adding cold water
- ½ cup of chopped dates
- ¼ cup of almonds roughly chopped
- 4-5 strands of saffron
- Seeds of one cardamom
- 1 tin of condensed milk(400g)
- Mix in the milk and condensed milk and bring to boil.
- On boiling, reduce the flame to low stir in the corn flour paste, cardamom seeds,
- almonds, dates and saffron.
- Stir the mix on low flame till it thickens.
- Let it cool and pour into kulfi moulds and freeze till they are firm.
- Please take care while de moulding slightly pour hot water on it (take care that water
- doesn’t seep into the mold).
A few more days to go for the school spree to start off…and back to the busy bee schedules. It was wonderful to be at my hus’s house to celebrate Vishu. As usual a wonderful get together with my co-sisters nephews and nieces. Being married into a joint family the best part is when you all come under one roof for celebrations. Kids have a blastJ. Being in Munnar and getting used to the cool climate the hardest part of moving over to tropical parts of Kerala during the summer really gets on your nerves.
The start of Summer and you find Watermelons all piled up in most fruit shops and road sides. These bright red fleshy beauties makes you crave for more..Todays post is on Watermelon Popsicles..I have had the moulds for quite some time in my cupboard…..so the start of summer was a good excuse to set off my batch of popsicles..
- 2 cups of watermelon cubes desseded and de-skinned
- ½ cup of sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Blend the watermelon cubes, sugar and lemon juice in a blender to make watermelon
- Pour the juice in to the moulds and freeze them till they are set.
- Once freeze slightly pour hot water over the mould and de mould them by pulling the
- Enjoy licking and slurping over your watermelon popsicles…