CHAKKA VARATTIYATHU / JACK FRUIT JAM
This one was my grandma’s masterpiece.I must say the thought of this dessert made from ripe jack fruit makes me drool.. This jackfruit jam can be used to make Elaappams/Idanaappams .Although the dish consumes time,I must say its worth trying..
1kg of the ripe jackfruit’s flesh pieces
5 cardamoms crushed
1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
- Deseed the flesh pieces of the jackfruit and cut them into small pieces.
- Melt the jaggery pieces to get a syrup
- Pressure cook them with 1/2 cup of water so that they are well cooked.
- In a heavy bottomed pan on flame pour ghee
- Add the cooked jackfruit to the pan and mash them
- When the water gets evaporated, add the jaggery syrup and continue stirring
- Stir well till the the jaggery jack fruit mix starts getting sticky
- Take care to stir the mix well avoiding from sticking to the vessel
- Add the crushed cardamoms and dry ginger powder,stirring well
- When it thickens well remove from flame
- Let it cool and then store them in air tight containers